FInancial Circle.png
Financial Resources

Rent and Utility Assistance Options for Upstate SC

Eligible renters in the Upstate can receive assistance through one of two pathways, depending on your county of residence. If you live in Anderson, Greenville and Spartanburg counties, see the following information by county. All other Upstate residents please see the information for SC Housing's SC Stays Plus program below.


For Greenville County Residents

Greenville County launched the Emergency Rental Assistance Program (“ERAP”). An ID from ANY COUNTRY is accepted for this application. Both the Tenant AND the Landlord must agree to participate in ERAP - Before applying, it is recommended that both discuss and agree that they are both willing to apply and provide the required information.


For Anderson County Residents

Anderson county residents can access the AIM COVID-19 Relief Fund, may contact the United Housing Connection by calling 2-1-1 or at


For Spartanburg County Residents

There are several options for residents based upon the area of the county where you live. Please link to this additional list of resources by county and scroll to the "Upstate" section at the bottom. You can view resources based on your location.

SC Housing - SC Stays Plus Program

All other Upstate residents can access the statewide housing program that will relaunch in early May. The SC Stay Plus Program has a new, easier application, and will be accepting renters with foreign IDs. Renters should begin to collect information to apply and sign up to receive email alerts now!

Several local organizations are providing rent and utility assistance to immigrant families during this time. We recommend calling each organization to learn about assistance available at the moment.

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program is helping individuals and families with a household income of $60,000 or less file for free. There are four filing options this year: drop-off/pickup, on-site video chat, all virtual assistance, and self-file through MyFreeTaxes (no income cap). For more information or to schedule an appointment please call 2-1-1 or visit the links below. *Tax deadline has been extended until May 17, 2021. 

In order to address ongoing workforce shortages throughout South Carolina, Governor Henry McMaster today directed the S.C. Department of Employment and Workforce (DEW) to terminate South Carolina’s participation in all federal, pandemic-related unemployment benefit programs, effective June 30, 2021.