Courier, Operations/Facilities Maintenance, Hughes Main Library.
Greenville, South Carolina
GREENVILLE COUNTY (SC) LIBRARY SYSTEM
Thu Jun 03 2021 23:00:00 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
Thu Jun 17 2021 23:00:00 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
$26,081 per year, plus benefits (Hourly rate: $13.37 per hour, 37.5 hours per week)
How to Apply
Visit the Job Openings page on our website at to submit an online employment application and/or for additional information about our application process. Inquiries may be directed to
Cindy Quinn at (864) 527-9232 or .
GCLS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. GCLS participates in E-Verify.
Under the supervision of the Facilities Maintenance Supervisor this position makes deliveries to the various branch locations and provides assistance to the entire library system by loading and unloading library materials that are used daily. Exercises safety precautions in operating library vehicles and in moving equipment and heavy items.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS/ABILITIES & CHARACTERISTICS
(Testing of computer skills may be part of the interview process for this position.)
Ability to operate a vehicle safely and plan driving routes. Familiarity with roads and streets in the areas traveled to reach branch locations. Ability to work in varying degrees of temperature and weather conditions. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with library staff and the public. Some basic knowledge of Library functions, policies and procedures. Ability to complete assigned tasks in a timely manner. Ability to use a personal computer for basic word processing and email. Customer service oriented. Ability to communicate concepts, general information, and task-oriented information in oral, written, and electronic forms.
Valid S.C. driver’s license and good driving record.
MINIMUM TRAINING & EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or high school equivalency certificate (GED).
Must have the ability to:
• speak clearly and distinctly
• hear and/or comprehend verbal communication
• frequently lift and carry awkward boxes and packages weighing up to 60 pounds
• walk, bend, reach and stoop
• stand for long periods of time
• sit while driving
• operate a vehicle safely
• climb steps and step stools
• work outdoors in varying weather conditions
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
These tasks are illustrative only; to carry out the day-to-day responsibilities of the job, other duties may be performed. The omission of specific statements does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or logical assignment to the position.
• Sorts materials for all Library locations. Packs materials in tubs to be taken to branch libraries and loads tubs onto courier van (E).
• Makes deliveries to branch libraries and other locations using vehicle assigned by supervisor (E).
• Inspects tubs upon arrival at branch libraries and ensures that tubs are delivered to proper locations (E).
• Picks up outgoing materials from each branch, loads tubs on van, unloads tubs and transports them to the sorting room (E).
• Unpacks tubs, loads and operates automated materials handling and sorting machine (E).
• Manually sorts materials when automated system is out of service (E).
• Retrieves materials from Main Library Circulation workroom, and transports them to the courier room to be sorted (E).
• Assesses vehicle problems that occur on the route and makes repairs or calls for assistance (E).
• Assists with transporting vehicles for scheduled and/or emergency repairs (E).
• Maintains cab and cargo areas of assigned vehicle in a clean and orderly manner including windshield and windows (E).
• Maintains inventory of courier supplies, assesses the condition of tubs and recommends replacements as needed (E).
• Provides input on planning and arranging the schedule of stops to best utilize time and minimize mileage (E).
• Sorts, processes and delivers US, Inter-agency, and Inter-library mail as needed (E).
• Follows safe work methods to prevent accidents and injury (E).
• Performs tasks in accord with library mission and brand essence behaviors (E).
• Assists other units throughout the system and performs other duties as assigned.
Skills and Requirements