Airfield Grounds Technician I
Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport
Wed May 05 2021 23:00:00 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
Wed Jun 30 2021 23:00:00 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
$13.16/hr - $17.55/hr
How to Apply
To be considered for this opportunity, you must have an application on file. Please complete an application by visiting gspairport.com/careers.
Responsible for performing daily grounds and airfield maintenance.
Skills and Requirements
Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
• Individual will participate in safety programs and safety training and have total commitment and compliance with all company safety and environmental policies.
• Responsible for immediately reporting any unsafe conditions to supervisor.
• This position requires airfield and ramp driver permitting. This individual is responsible for knowing driving procedures and rules and for successfully completing annual refresher training.
• This individual is responsible for becoming progressively more knowledgeable in assigned tasks, procedures, techniques and required tools in order to maximize efficiency.
• Daily cleanup of all grounds and roads on Airport property.
• Perform airfield grounds maintenance including pavement inspections, preventative maintenance, repairs, pavement markings, gate and fence repair, erosion control, grass mowing, grading and any other grounds maintenance activities necessary for compliance with 14 CFR Part 139.
• Maintain proper grades at pavement shoulders, NAVAIDs, manholes, drop inlets and other airfield appurtenances to comply with 14 CFR Part 139.
• Maintain drop inlets, outfalls, riprap ditches, detention ponds and other storm water drainage system components to enable proper drainage and ensure ponding does not occur.
• Maintain perimeter fencing and gates.
• Perform maintenance of painted lines and markings on runway, taxiways, aprons and roadways.
• Perform inspections and repairs to all airport concrete and asphalt pavements; to include runway, taxiway, apron, roadways, sidewalks and parking areas.
• Cut grass on and around airfield, edge lights, signs, light lanes and fence lines.
• Clear brush on hillsides, drainage ditches and fence lines around airfield.
• Assist in the installation of landscape plants, beds, and turf and irrigation systems.
• Assist with pesticide and herbicide applications.
• Install, repair and clean all road and directional signs.
• Performs prep work and painting of various facility items, including but not limited to planters, bollards, floors, walls and equipment.
• Perform pressure cleaning of various concrete and metal structures and washing of external windows at terminal.
• Cleanup of pre-assigned areas and work spaces.
• Assist with snow and ice removal activities.
• Performs other duties necessary to keep the airport attractive and operating safely.
• Responsible for setting an effective pace and for minimizing interruptions in the completion of tasks.
• Will be required to work with general supervision in an effective and safe manner.
Education Requirements (Evaluation Factors: Skills, Education, Experience, Ability)
• Good verbal and written communication skills.
• This position requires one (1) year experience in grounds maintenance.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Shall be knowledgeable and capable in the operation of hand and power tools needed in grounds maintenance. Must be physically able to operate various equipment, including but not limited to; backhoe, tractor, forklift and riding mowers.
• Must be able to operate vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission and those equipped with a manual transmission.
• This individual must have the ability to work and communicate effectively with fellow associates and supervision.
• Must successfully complete an annual medical physical designed for the performance and requirements of the job.
• May be required to complete an annual medical physical designed for the performance and requirements of the job.
• None at this time.
• Valid Drivers License
• None at this time.
• Diligence must be exercised when handling confidential information.
• Reasonable care for equipment/process will prevent injury/damage.
• Responsible for own work, but must coordinate work with others.
• Physical Demand - Must be physically able to use the Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) required of the job. Must be able to meet the physical requirements necessary for respirator wear in the application of pesticides and/or herbicides. Will be required to work in dusty environments (e.g. concrete sawing or grinding) and toxic environments (applying pesticides and herbicides) wearing appropriate PPE without adverse side effects. Must be able to tolerate exposure to heat, cold, rain and snow. Will be required to work from ladders and lifts. Will be required to perform strenuous physical activities such as digging, using a back pack blower, jack hammer, chain saw, and other such tools necessary for airfield and grounds maintenance activities. Will engage in sustained physical exertion and perform arduous work under adverse conditions. Must maintain physical fitness pertinent to the work. Frequent bending and stooping. Will be required to lift objects up to 55 pounds without assistance. May be exposed to noise levels greater than 55db. All necessary Personal Protective Equipment will be provided by the airport.
• Mental and/or Visual Demand - Mental and visual demands are high and vary with function performed. Consistent mental attention needed to respond safely and efficiently. Frequent work or travel in or near roadways, parking areas, and aircraft ramp areas require constant vigilance of aircraft, vehicle, and equipment traffic.
• Attentiveness to work procedure will reduce potential risk of injury in work area
• Exposed to normal industrial/aviation environments.
• This position may require uncommon tours of duty to include but not limited to weekends and holidays, rotating shift assignments and overtime duty.
• Will be subject to recall after normal duty hours.
The Greenville-Spartanburg Airport District is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.