Library Assistant IV, FT, Bilingual (English/Spanish) Youth Services
Greenville County Library System
Wed Jun 09 2021 23:00:00 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
Wed Jun 30 2021 23:00:00 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
$31,986 per year, plus benefits
How to Apply
Visit the Job Openings page on our website at to submit an online employment application and/or for additional information about our application process. Inquiries may be directed to
Cindy Quinn at (864) 527-9232 or .
GCLS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. GCLS participates in E-Verify.
Under direct supervision, this position performs a variety of specialized duties for youth and their families, both in and out of the Children’s Area of the Hughes Main Library. May direct, assign, and coordinate duties of other staff to ensure efficient operation of the department. Conducts educational age appropriate programs, and provides presentations to outside organizations. Work is performed under general supervision, in accord with the Library System’s vision and mission, using good judgment in the application of policies and established procedures.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS/ABILITIES & CHARACTERISTICS
• Knowledge of basic computer, mouse and keyboard use.
• Knowledge of Windows operating system, MS Office, various Internet browsers and email.
• Knowledge of business English, spelling and arithmetic.
• Knowledge of children’s literature and child development.
• Knowledge of Palmetto Basics and STEM concepts.
• Knowledge of Hispanic cultures and traditions.
• Ability to read, write, and speak fluently in English and Spanish, with an extensive vocabulary in both languages.
• Ability to convey original meaning and tone when translating materials.
• Ability to cross-reference specialized dictionaries and translation tools to check quality of translation.
• Ability to plan and execute engaging, age appropriate children’s programs and/or tours.
• Ability to lead songs with the public.
• Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with the general public and Library System staff.
• Ability to provide adequate instruction and directions to subordinates.
• Ability to work under frequently stressful conditions and meet required deadlines.
• Ability to perform routine tasks efficiently and without difficulty.
• Ability to follow established procedures and to perform work requiring considerable detail.
• Ability to learn, implement, and maintain complex filing systems, including the Dewey Decimal System, with a high level of accuracy.
• Ability to communicate concepts, general information, and task-related information in oral, written and electronic forms.
• Ability to operate and care for computers and their peripheral equipment, e.g. RFID pads, barcode readers, printers, etc.
• Ability to learn the Library System’s integrated system software, i.e. an automation system used to manage library processes.
• Ability to learn and demonstrate the use of current mobile device technology to assist customers in downloading and/or accessing the Library System’s online digital materials such as eBooks.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of customer records, security related incidents and other identifiable customer uses of Library System resources and services.
• Ability to resolve conflicts, problems, and complaints with tact and diplomacy.
• Works well in a team environment.
• Enjoys working with people and possesses a strong commitment to customer service.
• Enjoys working with children and families.
• Establishes rapport with others in person and on the telephone, and maintains effective working relationships with customers and coworkers.
• Works calmly and effectively in stressful situations and in a sometimes noisy and chaotic environment.
• Follows established procedures and instructions received from supervisor.
• Possesses strong organizational skills and is detail oriented.
• Performs routine tasks efficiently and without difficulty.
• Uses good judgment and discretion in carrying out duties and responsibilities.
• Receptive to feedback, willing to learn and embraces continuous improvement.
• Takes ownership of work, does what is needed without being asked, and follows through until task is completed.
• Punctual, works hours as scheduled, and maintains a good attendance record.
Skills and Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university
• Two years of experience working with children in a library or formal learning environment.
• Other combinations of experience, education, and training that meet the minimum requirements may be substituted as long as the applicant has completed a minimum of 60 college credit hours through an accredited college or university.
• Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood or Elementary Education or related field.
• Use of personal vehicle with mileage reimbursement
• Valid S.C. driver’s license
• Weekend and night work
• Perform duties at any Library location in the Greenville County Library System as requested
• Ability to accommodate frequent and sudden schedule changes and to adjust to changing work environments